Sunday, May 19, 2013

Volunteering at #backtothebeach this am #medals4mettles #h20 #latergram

This morning was one of my favorite days of the running season, Back to the Beach 1/2 Marathon! I have never actually run the race though, I volunteer every year.  Throughout the year I participate in several races and in each and every one I take water, pick up a packet or in some way receive aide from a volunteer. So every year I volunteer at at least one race.  Back to the Beach is always on my volunteer list because it is a fun atmosphere and benefits a wonderful organization called Medals 4 Mettle which is a non-profit organization that:
 ...facilitates the gifting of marathon, half marathon, and triathlon finishers’ medals. Runners from around the world give their hard earned medals to Medals4Mettle. Our worldwide network of physicians and volunteers then awards these medals attached to a Medals4Mettle ribbon to children and adults fighting debilitating illnesses who might not be able to run a race, but are in a race of their own just to continue to live their life. It is in honor of this mettle and courage in bravely facing these challenges that they are awarded a medal.


Every medal I have ever earned has been donated to them in hopes that one day it will bring a smile to the face of someone that is fighting and continuing in the race of their own.

Aside from the fact that it benefits a great organization, Back to the Beach is a fun race to volunteer at, it includes a bright colored shirt every year, and this year we even got one of the pint glasses!

I had a wonderful time this morning helping at the water station and cheering on runners that I knew as they passed by.  Sign me up to be a 2014 Beach Bum again next year! 
All the medals donated by runners, volunteering with fellow runner and school friend Sara,  & high quality H2O!!

via Instagram http://instagram.com/p/ZgxqWLRf4J/

Do you volunteer at any races throughout the year? If so what is your favorite "job"? (so far I really like water stops and packet pick up)

No comments:

Post a Comment