Thursday, July 4, 2013

Red Eye Relay Excitement

A few months back a friend asked me if I wanted to run on a 4 person relay team that conquers 100+ miles all overnight.  This is actually my idea of fun.  Originally I will not lie I was intimidated, the group is filled with Boston Qualifiers and Ultra Runners all of which are significantly faster then me.  However I took not making the Nuun Hood to Coast Team as a sign I needed to run the Red Eye Relay and needed to get to know this group. Originally we were going to make a family vacation out of the trip to Indiana but with adding Hunter the husband decided it's best if he stays home with the dog and the kids.  As any race they do not go to I'm a little sad but I totally understand, that would be a handful!

Slowly I have started chatting with a few of the other team members on Twitter and getting to know them on Instagram (oh the power of social media and it's ability to connect people). I knew that they had to be pretty awesome if my friend and his wife hung out with them and I was right.  Every day I am getting more and more excited for the race and the experience!

I will be running the smallest portion of the race 20.22 miles, with my longest leg the 1st one being just under 6 miles.


Physically I believe I am ready for the miles, but the over night part worries me a little (even though 3 kids and a puppy are training me really well to be up and function without sleep).

I have already started making my packing list:

  • Reflector vest
  • Headlamp/Extra Batteries
  • Red Light
  • Water/cooler
  • Nuun
  • Food (Picky Bars, Justin's Nut Butter for sandwiches, Grapes and bananas are also on my list)
  • Salt tablets
  • 5 complete outfits for running including 2 visors and 1 hat, arm sleeves and gloves in case it cools off significantly over night
  • 2-3 pairs of shoes
  • 1 outfit for wearing home 
  • Disposable toothbrush/s
  • Pillow/Blanket (I'm hoping to nap at least once)
  • Camera
  • Benadryl and Cortisone cream (just in case they have the same plants in Indy)
  • Not gonna lie either thought about packing my Keurig since we are driving my van and it has an electrical outlet!


What am I missing? Have you recently run on a relay team? What did you bring or couldn't have done without?

2 comments:

  1. Lip balm! A towel to sit on in the van to absorb sweat. Some sort of air freshener for the van ha ha ha. A neck pillow for the 10 mins of sleep you will get, might as well make it a great 10 mins :) Have a blast!

    ReplyDelete